Friday, January 9

Day 9: Spending vs. Investing

My friend, Tarah, invited me to speak at a MOPs (Mothers of Preschoolers) meeting today on the topic of "Ten Easy Ways to Go Green". Since I was diagnosed with liver disease and we've gone from two incomes to one, I've become much more interested in detoxing my body and house and in saving money. As I finalized my presentation last night, I realized once again how good stewardship (of personal resources like time, energy, money and possessions, and of God's creation) and frugality are the building blocks of a simple, generous life. I can't explain exactly how it happens; I just know that it does.

After all, what good is money if it's only used for things that break, blow away or burn down? We all have two choices. We can either spend our money on wants and whims or invest it in something that will live forever - people's souls. I feel so blessed when I can take part in helping an abused child go to summer camp, sending missionaries halfway around the world, donating diapers to young moms at the crisis pregnancy center or providing meals for the homeless in my city.

Money is amoral, and it isn't powerful in and of itself. But, in the right hands, it can be an instrument of blessing and comfort for stricken souls all across the globe. Maybe that's what this whole frugality experience is really about, that sinking sense that I'm foolishly spending, instead of wisely investing, the money God has entrusted to me for a few short years on earth. The economy might be rocky right now, but I know one thing for sure: using money to bring life and love to God's children is always a safe investment.

No comments: