Thursday, January 22

Day 22: Rules, Schmules

I went out to lunch today with a friend. We had been trying to get together for a while, but our schedules usually clash. So when she had an open lunch date, I hesitated but decided to make an exception to the eating-out rule. And thank God I did.

About halfway through lunch, the doctor who's been seeing my 6-year-old son for unexplained abdominal pain called my cell phone with devastating news: My son has the same autoimmune liver disease that I was diagnosed with when he was a newborn.

As I hung up, I dissolved into tears, numb with disbelief and scared of what the future holds for him. But God had already provided for my comfort, before I even knew I would need it. My friend is a wise and steadfast Christian and just happens to be a psychologist. She listened as I lamented, reassured me of God's love and providence and prayed for me and my family in the parking lot as we left. As I drove away, I was reminded that being led by God's spirit, instead of our own self-imposed rules, opens the door for Him to work in our lives and circumstances, all in His perfect timing. What an unexpected blessing during a trying time.

No comments: